Laptop and Computer Repair Services
For those in the local Reno, Sparks, Carson City and North Lake Tahoe area our in-shop laptop and computer repair service may be just what you're looking for. We strive to be the best laptop and computer repair store in Northern Nevada. Diagnostics are always free and we'll never sell you useless add-ons or "optimization" like some other stores do. You can trust that you'll be provided the top level of service and all the information you need to make a decision on the repair of your laptop or computer.
In-Shop Laptop or Computer Diagnostics
If you're not sure what's going on with computer or laptop, or aren't sure if your laptop or computer is worth repairing / upgrading, bring it to our shop for free diagnostics. We'll make repair, upgrade or replacement recommendations at no charge to you.
In-Shop Laptop Repair
All in-shop repairs are $89 /hour plus parts when applicable. To schedule a repair drop off call us at 775-852-4333.
In-Shop PC Repair
Top Speed Computer Services offers in-shop computer repair services. Whether you are looking for a general clean up, virus / spyware / malware removal, fan replacement, a hard drive is failing, data transfer, memory upgrade, OS upgrade, SSD upgrade, or any other repair we can help. Give us a call to schedule your PC drop off, or get pricing on replacement or upgrade parts.
All in-shop repairs are $78 /hour plus parts when applicable. To schedule a repair drop off call us at 775-852-4333.
In-shop Laptop or PC Downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7
Many people have quickly discovered that they are not happy with the new Windows 8 or how it performs for them. For those in a business environment Windows 8 is practically speaking a foreign language. If you're looking to have your Windows 8 downgraded to Windows 7 give us a call. All Windows 8, with the exception of RT comes with downgrade rights. Downgrading takes about an hour per computer and will save you hours of frustration in dealing with Windows 8.
At Home Computer Troubleshooting Check List
- Is the monitor turned on? This sounds simple enough, but you'd be surprised how often the monitor being turned off is the culprit. You've jiggled the mouse, tapped a few keys on the keyboard, but still see nothing on your monitor and you start to panic. But before you do, make sure the monitor hasn't just been turned off by someone who has over-zealously decided today is the day to save energy!
- Is the computer plugged in and the power strip turned on? Not remarkably different from the monitor being turned off. There are no shortage of calls we've headed out on that the fix was as simple as hitting the power switch on the power strip, surge protector or UPS.
- Unplug or replug? So it seems the network, modem, mouse or keyboard are on the frizt...until the cables have been eliminated it is always a cable problem. Turn the computer or laptop and monitor off, unplug all the cables and replug them back in, checking to make sure you've got them securely into their receptor. Now turn everything back on - you'd be surprised how often this resolves the issue.
- Is there ink or toner in the printer? Just when you think you have a major printer issue, make sure it's not just that you're in need of supplies.
- Where is your computer trying to boot from? A disk, CD, DVD, or thumb drive in one of your drives can cause all kinds of strange errors when trying to boot. So if you're having issues booting make sure your drives are empty and try again.
- When in doubt - Reboot! You have, of course, rebooted your computer several times through your troubleshooting process... You haven't?!? People often leave a frozen computer hoping it will fix itself and start working again - every once in a while that works, but if you've waited 10 minutes with no change it's time to consider doing a power down and reboot.
Best Practices For Avoiding Spyware, Malware and Viruses
- Never download any free software from companies you don't know and have some trust in - especially screensavers and emoticons. Prior to ransomware hitting with a vengeance, the worst infections we've seen have come from free downloaded screensavers - typically holiday themed.
- Never open any email attachment unless you know and trust the sender - and even then if the text or title to the email seem odd, go with your gut and check with the sender to make sure it's genuinely from them before you open it.
- Never open any .Zip attachments from emails unless you are expecting to receive a zip. .Zip attachments harbor all sorts of infections that you definitely don't want your computer or your company's network to get hit with. If you're unsure if it's legitimate, call the sender to verify before opening it.
- A good anti-virus program running up-to-date at all times will help, but remember those who send viruses and malware are always working to find ways around those programs. In the words of Harry's Potters Alastor Moody the best advise we can give you is "Constant Vigilence!"
If you're looking for a good anti-virus program to install on your computer we recommend Kaspersky or Vipre.
Complements From Some of Our In-Shop Repair Customers
- "You guys are amazing! Technical geniuses that fix my computer problems lightning fast for a very reasonable price. I know I can count on you for top quality service!"
- "Friendly, informative, quick, and reasonably priced. After I could no longer troubleshoot on my own, I brought my PC in and they had me all fixed up in no time. I do recommend and I will be a repeat customer for sure."
- "Excellent customer service!"
- "Great communication. Fast Service."
- "Friendly, competent service. I needed a new keyboard for my laptop. I dropped it off, they ordered the part (did not ask for a deposit), allowed me to pick-it up to use it while waiting for the part to arrive. Received a phone call as promise, dropped it off and it was ready the same day. The estimate was on target - very happy with Top Speed. Thank you!"
- "Great Service!!!!"
- "Very friendly and kept in touch with what they were doing and when things would be done. Very pleased."
- "I have had HUGE success with Top Speed!"